Catastrophic injuries occur suddenly and without warning, forever altering a victim’s life. When these injuries are the result of another party’s negligence, victims need an expert catastrophic injury attorney to hold those parties accountable. Our attorneys at Bennett Johnson, LLP have successfully secured millions of dollars in settlements for other catastrophic injury victims in and around Oakland, CA. If you or a loved one has suffered one of these life-altering injuries, let our attorneys help you recover the compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm today to get started.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries are usually sustained suddenly and without warning. They can have long-term implications on a person’s life. Catastrophic injuries may require extensive medical care and rehabilitation costs, and may result in permanent disability. Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of sight or hearing
Negligence on the part of an employer, another motorist, business, or other party can cause these types of injuries. If you or a family member has suffered a catastrophic injury, you may have a right to obtain compensation for your medical bills, rehabilitation costs, decreased earning capacity, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
The Cost of a Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries create a heavy financial burden for victims and their families. The extensive medical bills, combined with the victim’s inability to work, begin taking their toll almost immediately. Add to that the victim’s physical and emotional pain and the strain this can place on their relationships, and the entire family suffers negative effects.
By working with an experienced attorney, victims can recover significant compensation for these costs. Following a catastrophic injury caused by negligence, victims can pursue compensatory damages for:
- Past lost wages and benefits
- Loss of or reduced earning capacity
- Past and future medical bills
- Physical pain and suffering
Depending on the nature of the injury, family of the victim may also pursue damages for loss of consortium, or companionship. This generally only applies to spouses and children of victims who can no longer provide the same level of care, nurturing, and companionship as they did before the injury.
Who is Liable for These Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries are almost always the result of another party’s negligence. Depending on the circumstances of the accident and injury, there are several potential at-fault parties:
- Employer: If the employer failed to provide safe working conditions or proper training and an accident results in catastrophic injuries, the employer can be held liable for damages. Injured workers may have the choice to file either a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury claim. A skilled attorney can help victims determine which option is more beneficial.
- Doctors and Hospitals: When doctors or hospital staff act carelessly, severe, catastrophic injuries can happen. Injuries may result from a misdiagnosis or administering too much or too little anesthesia during surgery.
- Businesses or Residence: If a catastrophic injury occurs on another party’s property, such as a place of business or a private residence, the business owner or property owner can be held liable for the damages caused by hazardous conditions.
- Educational Organization: A school can be held liable if a student suffers a catastrophic injury while attending or participating in a school function, even if the injury does not take place on school property.
Legal Assistance from Trusted Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
If you suffered a catastrophic injury that has changed your life, it is important to understand your options. Our team of attorneys at Bennett Johnson, LLP is here to help. We have served California’s East Bay with excellence and professionalism since 1981. You can trust our team of dedicated, highly rated lawyers for advanced and effective advocacy after a serious accident.
As your attorneys, we will look at all possible avenues to recover compensation. Doing so can help cover costs when your own insurance coverage reaches its limits. This is important, as catastrophic injuries are often associated with long-term medical treatment and expenses.
Catastrophic injuries may require extensive medical care and rehabilitation costs, and may result in permanent disability.
There are other limits to compensation that catastrophic injury victims may face. Insurance policy limits for the at-fault driver may be inadequate in terms of a lifelong disability. Workers’ compensation for on-the-job injuries typically only cover medical expenses up to a certain point and only a percentage of lost wages. Filing a lawsuit against the employer may be prohibited.
Our attorneys understand all these potential limiting factors and work diligently to find every possible source of compensation. We personally conduct a full investigation to uncover all at-fault parties and hold them each accountable for their responsibility in the accident and resulting injuries.
Without our skilled attorneys on your side, you could end up with a fraction of the compensation you are entitled. We will negotiate with insurance companies and take your claim to court if necessary to fight for your right to full compensation for your severe injury.
What Types of Cases Does Bennett Johnson, LLP Accept?
- Ford Explorer rollover cases
- The 5 Freeway collapse in Southern California
- The Napa High School/Concord water slide collapse
- The San Francisco One Market Plaza shooting
We are prepared to represent you strategically and effectively. Most of all, we will do whatever it takes to secure a positive outcome for you. Some other examples of cases we accept include:
- Workplace accidents
- Elder abuse
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Medical malpractice
We Have Seven Decades of Combined Experience
Our firm is proud to have more than seven decades of combined experience, which has allowed us to handle cases of varying complexity. If you have sustained a catastrophic injury caused by negligence, seek our well-versed legal assistance. Our attorneys will guide you through the legal process from start to finish. Do not hesitate to reach out to us for reliable counsel at your earliest convenience.