A Burn Injury Lawyer Can Secure Fair Compensation for Damages
As one of the most painful types of injury an individual can suffer, burns may dramatically alter your quality of life. If you have suffered burns in a situation in which you would normally have every expectation of safety, you may be able to file a lawsuit to hold responsible parties financially liable.
The legal team at Bennett Johnson, LLP, can advise you regarding the proper course of action for your burn injury suit at their Oakland, CA, practice. Our attorneys possess extensive knowledge and experience in representing burn victims, and we will work diligently to secure the compensation that you deserve.
Burn Injury Classifications
There are three general classifications of burn injuries. The cause of a burn does not dictate its classification; rather, the degree of the burn is determined by the number of layers of skin that are affected.
- First-degree burns are minor burns that result in redness and soreness, affecting only the top layer of skin, the epidermis.
- Second-degree burns typically result in blistered, thickened skin, and affect both the epidermis and the dermis.
- Third-degree burns are severe, penetrating the skin beyond the epidermis and dermis to subcutaneous tissues.
- The most acute burn classification, a fourth-degree burn, damages underlying tissues, muscles, and even bone.
Mild to severe burns may result from sun exposure, scalding or boiling water, chemicals, electrical sources, and open flames.
Types of Burn Injury Lawsuits
Burn injuries occur under many different circumstances, which may dictate the type of lawsuit that is filed. For example, a gas range that malfunctions and causes a severe burn would warrant a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer.
If an injury results from an employer’s failure to comply with safety regulations, you may file a workplace injury claim. In instances in which an injury occurs at work, but is not a result of your employer’s failure to comply with safety regulations, a workers’ compensation claim is filed.
In other cases, a general negligence claim may be filed. Gross negligence is typically filed when the defendant acted intentionally.
Factors Considered in Burn Injury Lawsuits
In any burn injury case, you will need to prove that it was the responsibility of the defendant to provide a safe environment. In cases of negligence, you will also need to prove that the defendant acted negligently, either intentionally or unintentionally.
Our attorneys possess extensive knowledge and experience in representing burn victims, and we will work diligently to secure the compensation you deserve.
Burns can cause permanent damage, including scarring and disabilities. Such irreparable damage may prevent you from working in certain occupations and industries, or from working altogether. Burn injuries that have negatively impacted your life typically warrant larger settlements or awards.
Compensation for Burn Injuries
The compensation you receive, either through a settlement or a jury award, depends on the extent of your injuries and the impact that they have on your livelihood. Most burn injury victims are entitled to compensation for the following damages:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses. These expenses include treatments, surgeries, medications, medical equipment, and more.
- Any wages lost while taking time off for surgeries and recovery, or loss of income if you are unable to work again.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment of life, if an injury prevents you from participating in activities that you previously enjoyed.
- Loss of consortium for loved ones.
In cases of gross negligence, we may also seek punitive damages, which financially penalize a defendant for their actions. The possibility of punitive damages often results in defendants settling cases out of court at a higher amount.
If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury caused by another party, contact our law firm today to schedule your free consultation. Our attorneys will work tirelessly to help you receive just compensation during this difficult time.