Knowing what to do after a car accident can make all the difference when it comes to collecting compensation for your injuries and other losses. Attorneys Richard C. Bennett, William Johnson, and Andrew Johnson with Bennett Johnson, LLP in Oakland, CA, explain exactly what to do - and what not to do - in order to ensure the best outcome. If you have been in a car accident, please call us at (530) 413-0245 so we can begin investigating your accident and resulting injuries right away.
Immediately after a Car Accident
The moments immediately following a car accident can be confusing and overwhelming, but keeping a cool head and doing the following can benefit you tremendously:
- Do not apologize or admit fault.
- Call the police right away, so an officer can be dispatched to the scene.
- Accept a medical assessment and any necessary treatment on the scene.
- Ask for witnesses to provide their names and contact information.
- Take photos of the cars, injuries, the roadway, and all traffic signals. You can also make a quick written note of your perception of how the accident happened. Be sure to include information about the weather and any other details.
- Obtain the insurance information for every other driver involved, including the agent's name and phone number.
- Contact an attorney.
In the days following your accident:
- Keep track of the medical bills and reports, so you can assemble a clear picture of how you were injured and what was required to recover.
- Keep a diary of how you feel every day, and how your injuries prevent you from performing your daily tasks. You can also keep notes regarding your emotional state and how your family is impacted by your injuries.
- If any insurance adjustor or other person representing another motorist contacts you, do not speak to them. Simply tell them to reach out to your lawyer.
It is important to take these steps even if you believe your injuries are minor. A judge and jury will be interested to know every piece of the puzzle. When your attorney deals with the insurance adjuster, having a complete picture of your injuries and expenses helps foster negotiations or determine when the time is right to file a lawsuit.
A personal injury lawyer can ensure that nothing is overlooked in your case.
How a Lawyer Helps
A personal injury lawyer can ensure that nothing is overlooked in your case. Your attorney can preserve evidence so that it can be used in your case. Keep in mind that insurance adjusters do not work for you, and will try to resolve the case with as little effort and compensation as possible. On the other hand, we can be your advocate and pursue an amount of compensation that meets your needs. We routinely work with medical experts and accident reconstructionists to find out exactly how the accident happened, and use that information to your benefit.
Contact us Today
The team at Bennett Johnson, LLP focuses on helping clients hurt in accidents recover all they deserve. For more information, contact us online or call our office at (530) 413-0245.