Left Turn Accidents
Left turn accidents result in some of the most serious injuries and losses on the road. These “t-bone accidents” frequently cause serious injury or death, and can leave you facing devastating medical expenses. At Bennett Johnson, LLP in Oakland, CA, we understand the complex factors involved in left turn accidents. Attorneys Richard C. Bennett, William Johnson, and Andrew Johnson can investigate your car accident and determine who is responsible for your injuries so you can collect the compensation you need and deserve. If you or a loved one was injured in a left turn accident, reach out to our firm online or by phone at (510) 444-5020 today to book a free case review.
Common Causes of Left Turn Accidents
According to a study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 36 percent of all traffic accidents occur at intersections. The most common cause of these types of accidents was inadequate surveillance of surroundings.
Other causes included:
- Incorrectly predicting another driver’s actions
- Turning with an obstructed view
- Making illegal maneuvers
- Distracted driving
- Misjudging the space available for the turn or other’s speed
In general, the driver turning left is assumed to be responsible for left turn accidents. This assumption is based on laws requiring drivers attempting a left-hand turn to wait until the way is completely clear and free of traffic to prevent an accident. Therefore, if you were turning left at the time of an accident you believe was not your fault, you are required to prove the other driver was negligent.
There are a few factors that would make the driver traveling straight liable, such as:
- Protected turns: If you are turning left and you have a green turn arrow, your turn is protected and you have the right of way.
- Speeding: If the driver traveling straight through the intersection is going over the posted speed limit, they may be held liable for colliding with the vehicle turning left.
- Running a red light: Failing to obey posted signs, such as a red light or stop sign, may mean that the driver traveling straight is responsible for the collision.
If you or a loved one was injured in a left turn accident, it is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected.
Our attorneys at Bennett Johnson can thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your left turn accident to identify who is at fault. Based on these findings, they can determine whether you have a case.
Get the Help You Need
If you or a loved one was injured in a left turn accident, it is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected. Collecting compensation can be extremely difficult without an attorney who can prove negligence and pursue the amount you are truly owed. Contact us online or call (510) 444-5020 today to find out how our firm can help you collect after a left turn accident. Your initial consultation is free.