Helping Victims of Aggressive Driving
Reports indicate that 66 percent of traffic fatalities are the result of an aggressive driver. Attorneys Richard C. Bennett, William Johnson, and Andrew Johnson in Oakland, CA, help victims of aggressive driving collect compensation when another motorist's reckless actions result in injury and other losses. Victims are entitled to recover the costs to repair or replace their personal property, as well as compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and the costs of ongoing care and treatment. To book a free case review, contact us online or give us a call at (530) 413-0245.
What Is Aggressive Driving?
We live in a mobile society where driving is a necessary part of going to work, taking kids to school, and visiting family or friends. But delays in traffic, construction, running late, disregarding traffic signals and laws, and other factors can all contribute to anger and cause tempers to rise while driving. This causes some drivers to drive aggressively, which can place others on the road at risk. Aggressive driving can best be described as:
- Driving while enraged, leading to dangerous driving patterns such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, running stop signs, and disregarding other traffic signals.
- Engaging in any combination of aggressive behaviors such as speeding and disregarding the rules of the road while driving.
- Use of a weapon, in which the driver becomes enraged while driving and resorts to the use of a firearm or other weapon to harm another driver.
If you are involved in an incident with an aggressive driver, it is essential to seek legal assistance to obtain the compensation you deserve, and possibly pursue criminal charges against the offending driver.
In many cases, holding the liable party accountable for their actions helps to prevent similar accidents in the future.
When Aggressive Driving Causes Accidents
As with any other accident, the first step to take in the moments immediately after is to seek medical treatment and call 911 so an officer can be dispatched to the scene. It is also important to:
- Make note of all witnesses, including names and phone numbers
- Take photos of any damage
- Secure a copy of the police report when it is completed
- Ask for insurance information from the other driver
- Never apologize or say anything that could be interpreted as an admission of responsibility on your part for the accident
This information is essential when making a claim because it is the evidence you need to support your case. You should also contact an attorney as soon as possible so the evidence you have gathered can be properly reviewed.
What a Lawyer Can Do for You
A personal injury attorney can help with establishing liability, filing a case on time, and demanding an appropriate amount of reimbursement for your losses. In many cases, holding the liable party accountable for their actions helps to prevent similar accidents in the future.
Bennett Johnson, LLP is a personal injury firm that helps victims of many types of automobile accidents, including those involving commercial trucks. For help with your case, or to learn more, contact us online or call our office at (530) 413-0245.